Page Content

M.A. Applied Linguistics - Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

We have compiled a list with questions with respect to different aspects of our new master program "M.A. Applied Linguistics". More information on Study Program and Studies Coordination are to be found here. We hope you find most of your questions answered below - otherwise do not hestitate to contact us via email.

General prerequisites

Do I need a BA in linguistics?

In order to study the MA Applied Linguistics, a German or foreign BA is required that forms a reasonable basis for the Master program.

The Bachelor "English Studies" from the University of Bonn is suitable for the Master program if linguistic modules have been attended. Other BAs are welcome if students passed modules that are of immediate relevance to the topics of Applied Linguistics and which account for at least 36 LP ("Leistungspunkte"; Credit Points), including 18 LP in practical English language courses. The requirements for practical language courses can be lowered if participants can attest a comparable involvement with the English language by other means (e.g. English language competence certificates or additional linguistics courses in relevant topic areas).

Note that in this context, "Applied Linguistics" refers to scientific research and not actual applications such as translating or language teaching. Graduates of BA programs explicitly focused on these areas are not technically excluded, but the corresponding applicants have to demonstrate that a sufficient background in linguistics in this sense has been acquired.

I already have an MA in Applied Linguistics, can I apply?

No, you cannot apply if you already have an MA in Applied Linguistics.

You can apply if you have another Master's degree and the required linguistic background (BA level).

Do international students need to speak German even though the courses are taught in English?

As of today, you need a proof of your German skills to apply for our program. This means you will have to show the proof of your German skills at the latest at the time of your enrollment at the university. In case you are still taking part in a German course just state this in your application.

One of the following test results for German is needed:

  • A DSH-1 score (or better) if you have taken a German test at a German university
  • A TestDaF certificate with a score of at least 3 in all categories (TDN3)

There are several exceptions: Applicants with a Goethe certificate C1 or students who have completed a Bachelor's program that was taught entirely in German do not have to take the DSH test. For a full list of exceptions and more detailed information about DSH, see this official document by the University of Bonn (in German): Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH).

It is possible to do the DSH test after your arrival in Bonn, but please be aware of the application deadlines and fees for the courses and the exam (click here for further information).

Please also turn to these pages from the University of Bonn if you have any specific questions concerning the DSH test.

Application procedure

Do I have to apply for the M.A. programs of the IAAK or can I simply enroll?

All three M.A. programs of the IAAK (Department of English, American and Celtic Studies) require an application. The application period for the winter term 2017/18 is over now. The next application phase will be in spring 2018, details will be announced on this website.

Do I have to send the documents via email or post or can I do these things online?

You can only apply at the online application portal of the University of Bonn.

The application process is completely electronic via this online portal, so please do not send applications by post or email.

Where can I find the application form for the winter term 2018/19?

You can find the online application portal here. Please note that you can only apply during the application phase, which will be in spring 2018.

Do documents have to be officially notarized?

For the application, you have to provide a notarized copy of your BA degree and a certified copy of your high school diploma. Please note that the University of Bonn accepts only official documents either in German or in English. Should your documents be in another language, you have to provide a notarized translation. You can obtain a notarized translation of your documents either at a German embassy or consulate in your home country or at an embassy or consulate of your home country in Germany.

For the enrollment, you have to present the original copies of both your BA degree and high school diploma. In this case, too, the documents must be either in German or in English (if necessary, with a notarized translation).

Do I need a personal statement or motivation letter?


What do I do if I cannot enroll during the official enrollment period?

In this case, please send an email to Dr Stefan Plasa (stefan.plasa(at) at the examination office.

Course of studies

Is the course syllabus already available?

Usually, the finalized course syllabus for the upcoming semester will be available on our
electronic course catalog 6-8 weeks before the semester start. A preliminary version is
available earlier, but you cannot register for the courses yet.

Do I have to spend the 3rd semester abroad?

No, students can either take required courses in Bonn or at other universities abroad. We encourage students to look for study programs at foreign universities which match both our study requirements as well as their own research interests. The University of Bonn cooperates with a number of universities throughout Europe which have already participated in our exchange program. Additionally, the option to spend the third semester at the University of Albany, NY, USA, is potentially available.


Are there any tuition fees?

There are no tuition fees at the University of Bonn. There are, however, some fees that include a "Semesterticket" (public transportation ticket for North Rhine-Westphalia) and many more useful and necessary things.

Due to changes in the price of the ticket and the other items on the list, the "Sozialbeiträge" (social dues) may vary slightly from one term to the next. The sum for the winter term 2017/18 amounts to 286,81 .

For more details see (in German):

For further information, especially for international students, see:

Related Content