Dr. Susanne Mohr, research assistant
Varieties of English in general, in Africa in particular; multilingualism and language contact (esp. cross-modal); second language acquisition; sociolinguistics; language attitudes; language policies; language endangerment and language documentation; language typology (esp. cross-modal); corpus linguistics; morphosyntax (esp. word classes and number systems)
- Mohr, Susanne (2014). Mouth Actions in Sign Languages - An empirical study of Irish Sign Language. Berlin: De Gruyter / Ishara.
- - Reviewed by Bank, Richard (2015). In Language 91(3): 743-746.
- Mohr, Susanne (2007). Sign Languages as Natural Languages - The Linguistic Design Features. Unpublished MA thesis, RWTH Aachen University.
articles and book chapters
- (in preparation). A comparison of hunting sign inventories in Ju|'hoansi, Ts'ixa, ||Ani-Khwe and Buga-Khwe. [with A. de Voogt & A.-M. Fehn]
- (submitted). The Implementability and Effectuality of Tanzania’s New Education Policy - on the Problem of the Language of Instruction in Tanzania. [with D. Ochieng]
- Mohr, Susanne & Dunlop Ochieng (in press) Language usage in everyday life and in education: current attitudes towards English in Tanzania. English Today.
- Mohr, Susanne (in press). Plural nouns in Tswana English. World Englishes.
- Mohr, Susanne (in press). Compounding or paraphrase? Sign sequences in the hunting language of the ||Ani-Khwe. Proceedings of WOCAL 8, Kyoto, Japan.
- Mohr, Susanne (2016). From Accra to Nairobi: The use of pluralized mass nouns in East and West African postcolonial Englishes. In D. Schmidt-Brücken, S. Schuster & M. Wienberg (eds.) Aspects of (Post)Colonial Linguistics. Berlin: De Gruyter, 157-188.
- Mohr, Susanne (2015). Tshaukak'ui - hunting signs of the Ts'ixa in Northern Botswana. In J. Backen-Jepsen, G. De Clerck, S. Lutalo-Kiingi & W. McGregor (eds.) Sign Languages of the World. A Comparative Handbook. Berlin: De Gruyter/Ishara, 933-953.
- Mohr, Susanne (2015). Mundbilder und Mundgestik in Irischer Gebärdensprache: Eine (sozio)linguistische Analyse des Signs of Ireland Corpus. Das Zeichen 99(15), 140-146.
- Mohr, Susanne & Anne-Maria Fehn (2013). Phonology of hunting signs in two Kalahari Khoe-speaking groups (Ts'ixa and ||Ani). LSA Annual Meeting Extended Abstracts 2013. e.Language.net.
- Mohr, Susanne (2012). The visual gestural modality and beyond: mouthings as a language contact phenomenon in Irish Sign Language. Sign Language & Linguistics 15(2), 185-211.DOI: 10.1075/sll.15.2.01moh
- Bauer, Anastasia & Susanne Mohr (2009). Hände allein sind nicht genug! Workshopbericht zu Nonmanuals in Sign Languages (NISL). Das Zeichen 82(23), 332-337.
- Mohr, Susanne (2013). Review of Adams, Michael. 2011. From Elvish to Klingon: Exploring invented languages. Linguistic Typology 17(2), 338-356.
- Mohr, Susanne (2012). Review of Mu'azu, M. A. & Balami, F. 2010. A descriptive analysis of Bura verbs and vocabulary. Orientalistische Literaturzeitung 107(6), 423-424.
- 2017. Berufswunsch Professorin - oder lieber doch nicht? Invited talk at a.r.t.e.s. back to school, a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School for the Humanities Cologne, Germany.
- 2017. eTests als diagnostische und summative Assessments in einer Einführung in die englische Sprachwissenschaft. Invited talk at the eCampus Café "Vorher, nachher, zwischendurch? Test-Szenarien in eCampus", eCampus group, University of Bonn, Germany.
- 2016. Researching mass and countability in African Englishes. Invited talk at the Centre for African Language Diversity, University of Cape Town, South Africa.
- 2016. "Let me get my stuffs". Pluralization, mass and countability in African varieties of English. Invited talk at the School of Languages, University of Ghana, Accra.
- 2015. Status der Jagdregister der Ts'ixa und ||Ani in Nordbotswana - Gesten oder Gebärdensprache? Invited talk at the Workshop Gebärdensprache, Cologne, Germany.
- 2012. The sociolinguistics of mouthings in Irish Sign Language: An analysis of the Signs of Ireland Corpus. Invited talk at the Centre for Deaf Studies, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland.
- 2011. Spreading of mouth actions in Irish Sign Language. A case of prosodic binding? Invited talk at the Department of Phonetics, University of Cologne, Germany.
conference papers and posters
- 2017. Urbanized African Sociolinguistics - Questioning Research Foci. Panel to be organized at the 7th European Conference on African Studies (ECAS 7), Basel, Switzerland. [with H. Steigertahl]
- 2017. Contemporary use of and attitudes towards English in multilingual Tanzania. Paper to be presented at the International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB) 11, Limerick, Ireland. [with D. Ochieng]
- 2016. The use of English in everyday life and as medium of instruction in Tanzania: an attitude study. Paper presented at the Irish Association for Applied Linguistics annual conference, Dublin, Ireland. [with D. Ochieng]
- 2016. Lecturers are still doing researches - An evaluation of the present-day acceptability of Tanzanian English corpus data. Paper presented at the International Society for the Linguistics of English 4 (ISLE 4) Conference, Poznan, Poland.
- 2016. Learner English or ESL? A typologically driven analyses of non-standard plurals in ICLE-Tswana. Poster presented at the Nachwuchstagung Englische Linguistik 1 (NEL 1), Würzburg, Germany.
- 2015. Pluralized mass nouns: an areoversal of African Englishes? Paper presented at the World Congress of African Linguistics 8 (WOCAL 8), Kyoto, Japan.
- 2015. Compounding or paraphrase? What sign sequences can tell us about the hunting language of the ||Ani in Northern Botswana. Paper presented at the World Congress of African Linguistics 8 (WOCAL 8), Kyoto, Japan.
- 2015. Relating corpus data and eWAVE: pluralized mass nouns in East and West African Englishes. Paper presented at the International Computer Archive of Modern and Medieval English Conference 36 (ICAME 36), Trier, Germany.
- 2014. Gesture or Sign? Hunting languages of the Ts'ixa and ||Ani in Northern Botswana. Paper presented at the International Society for Gesture Studies 6 (ISGS 6) Conference, San Diego, CA, USA.
- 2014. Informations on researches and knowledges. Mass nouns in East African Englishes. Paper presented at the 3rd Bonn Applied English Linguistics (BAELc3) Conference, Bonn, Germany.
- 2014. Fieldwork in Zambia - A sociolinguistic approach. Paper presented at the Chemnitz Africa Symposium on English 1 (CASE 1), Chemnitz, Germany.
- 2013. Phonology of hunting signs in two Kalahari Khoe-speaking groups (Ts'ixa and ||Ani). Paper presented at the 87th Annual Meeting of the Lingguistic Society of America (LSA 87), Boston, MA, USA. [with A.-M. Fehn]
- 2012. CL-bigbird + BAEK-crooked + WINGS - Compounding strategies in hunting signs of the ||Ani-Khwe in Botswana. Paper presented at the 4th Kölner Afrikawissenschaftliche Nachwuchstagung (KANT IV), Cologne, Germany. [with A.-M. Fehn]
- 2012. Phonologie ikonischer Tiergesten bei zwei verwandten Kalahari Khoe-sprachigen Gruppen (Ts'ixa und ||Ani). Paper presented at the 20th Afrikanistentag, Cologen, Germany. [with A.-M. Fehn]
- 2011. Modality-specific criteria for word class recognition in sign languages: The verb class in Irish Sign Language (ISL). Paper presented at the Association for Linguistic Typology 9th Biennial Meeting (ALT 9), Hong Kong, China.
- 2010. Mouth actions and morphological complexity of verbs in Irish Sign Language (ISL). Paper presented at the 9th High Desert Linguistic Society Conference (HDLS 9), Albuquerque, NM, USA.
- 2010. Puzzles of cross-modal language contact: code-mixing, mode-mixing, borrowing or language change? The case of Irish Sign Language. Poster presented at the 9th High Desert Linguistic Society Conference (HDLS 9), Albuquerque, NM, USA.
- 2010. The Correlation Between Mouth Actions and Word Class in Irish Sign Language (ISL). Poster presented at the Theoretical Issues in Sign Language Research 10 (TISLR 10) Conference, West Lafayette, IN, USA.
- 2009. The Influence of Oralism on Mouth Actions in Irish Sign Language (ISL). Poster presented at the Boston University Conference on Language Development 34 (BUCLD 34), Boston, MA, USA.
- 2009. Mouthing and Mouth Gestures in a Young Sign Language. Paper presented at the Nonmanuals in Sign Languages (NISL) Workshop, Frankfurt a. M., Germany. [with D. Adone and A. Bauer]
- 2008. A French-Based Creole in an English-Speaking Context: Mauritian Creole in Australia. Poster presented at the 11th LIPP Symposium, Munich, Germany. [with D. Adone]
BA and MA theses (primary supervisor)
- Aengenvoort, H., Assessing language attitudes towards Papua New Guinea's educational system: A pilot study. (BA), winner of the Queen's Prize 2016
- Bobrova, E., Feature film titles as compressed version of their content: translation strategies and techniques. (MA)
- Denisiuk, O., Motivation, orientation and attitudes towards learning English: a study among Russian undergraduate students. (MA)
- Dorzhieva, E. Pronominal address and its social functions in Russia and Germany. (MA)
- Du, X., "I'm sorry, which apology did you just use?" Comparing apologizing strategies of Chinese EFL learners across genders and age groups. (MA)
- Hampel, E. "It creates an atmosphere of freedom" - Functions of and attitudes towards Ghanaian Student Pidgin. (MA)
- Lucas, J., The attitude towards a German accent in English: a case study in the midwestern United States. (BA)
- Lutsenko, D., Compliment responses in Australian English. (MA)
- Münster, M., Attitudes towards English in Brazil. (BA)
- Neuhausen, M. The acquisition of vocabulary in German learners of English. (BA)
- Ozdemir, K., Accommodation strategies in ELF couple interactions: A case study of five ELF couples. (MA)
- Pacek, D., The position of Australian English in the English-speaking world of the "Inner Circle". (BA)
- Pazmino, P., Attitudes of young German female native speakers towards foreign accents in English. (MA)
- Rauland, J. "Not racist, just a little xenophobic" - Analysing anti-immigration discourses of the 2016 Brexit online campaigns. (MA)
Introduction to Linguistics/Introduction to Language and Communication Studies
- WS 2013/14 University of Duisburg-Essen
- WS 2015/16, WS 2016/17 University of Bonn
- SS 2008 University of Cologne
- SS 2008 University of Cologne
- SS 2013 University of Duisburg-Essen, University of Bonn
- WS 2008/09 University of Cologne
- SS 2012 University of Cologne
- WS 2013/14 University of Bonn
World Englishes/Varieties of English
- WS 2012/13 University of Cologne
- SS 2013 University of Duisburg-Essen, University of Bonn
- SS 2014 University of Koblenz-Landau
English in (East and West) Africa
- SS 2013, SS 2014 University of Bonn
Pidgins and Creoles
- WS 2013/14 University of Duisburg-Essen, University of Bonn
Language Attitudes/Language Attitudes and Motivation in Language Learning
- WS 2016/17 University of Koblenz-Landau
- SS 2017 University of Bonn
Second Language Acquisition
- SS 2015 University of Bonn
- SS 2014 University of Bonn
Invented Languages/Language Creation
- WS 2014/15, WS 2015/16 University of Bonn
Of data collection, transcription and statistics
- WS 2014/15 University of Bonn
Research Colloquium (MA level)
- WS 2014/15 TU Chemnitz
Sign language linguistics (in German)
- WS 2011/12 University of Münster
- SS 2015 University of Cologne
Iconicity across modalities (in German)
- SS 2013 University of Münster